Wednesday, February 3, 2010

theweightandsuch

Hello All,

I would have written more than one word in the title but it mysteriously turns to hieroglyphs for some reason.
Anyway.....Since I last wrote I have been so tired and draggy it became ridiculous. I was working four hours a day at an office, not big deal, and then I would come home and take a two and one half hour nap. No kidding. I finally got sick and tired of it (no pun intended) and went to see my health care provider, Lora, who is a very dedicated NP. I told her my story and since I have had screenings for diabetes each year I thought maybe a glucose tolerance test would be in order.
She ordered that test and some others. What an ordeal that three hour test is. I'm glad I did it though. The result is that I have a condition calle Hyperinsulinemia.
What it basically means is that my body dispenses way more insulin than it needs after each meal, especially after having carbs. I looked on the internet and discovered the condition was discovered around 1924 by a Dr. Seale Harris, Professor of Medicine at the University of Alabama. The symptoms are:
Hunger,
Weakness,
Fatigue,
Anxiety,
Nervousness,
Crying spells,
Trembling,
Confusion,
Disorientation,
Delirium and Stupor.

I don't think you have to have all of those things at once but at one time or another I have to confess to having most of them.
Bottom line to this is that after having all this insulin go through your body you crash because it is not used to properly and the food is used as fat storage instead of nourishing your body. This condition effects every cell in your body.
Hyperinsulinism can lead to diabetes, heart attacks, high cholesterol, stroke, certain cancers, PMS (like we need more of that) and acne just to round it out.
I encourage everyone who reads this blog and has the symptoms to get a glucose tolerance test and see if you have this awful condition so you can get on to better health and yes, even lose weight.
Since I have been diagnosed, ten days, I have followed a low glycemic diet and taken the medication they prescribed, I have lost a pound a day. The first five days were accompanied by a lot of headaches which I think were withdrawal from carbs, I love carbs.
If you have any questions let me know and good luck with your health and be happy.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you are on your way to better health. I wanted to let you know I love your profile picture! I'm a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention. One in five people have this condition and don't know it. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peggy. I was so happy to find your blog. It seems we have gardening enthusiasm in common. I am now looking over the seed catalogs and contemplating planting stuff indoors. Can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete