Sunday, November 29, 2009

Food

It just occurred to me that I have a very unhealthy attachment to food. Yes, we all have to have it in order to survive but how much of it and how often is always a struggle. I grew up with practically no food, really, in a third world country. My first act of larceny as a child was to kidnap a cow. I was two years old. I asked my Grannie for some milk and when she said we had none because we didn't own a cow I set my plan in action. I remembered watching cows go back and forth in front of the house each morning and evening. That evening as the cows were coming home from the pasture I cut one out of the herd, closed the gate, and once more requested the milk. When it was discovered by my god fearing Grannie what I had done there was pandemonium. The cow was happy eating all of her veggies in the garden, the only food we had, so of course there was a rush to get it out of there. Eventually my grandfather, seeing my determination, bought a goat. I only mention this because you have to understand that hunger was a major motivation factor in my life. I don't think I ever got over it despite the fact that since the age of six I was never really without adequate food.
I now find myself buying much more food than I can possibly use and end up giving it away or throwing it away or worse yet, eating it. Is there anyone else out there with these food issues? I am, quite frankly,driven to eat at every opportunity and it is some times a source of embarrassment. In other ways I am a perfectly happy person and get along well with other aspects of my life.
Why am I writing about this guilty and somewhat shameful secret? I need help. I would like for anyone with a similar food problem to write to me and let me know if they have overcome the problem and how they did it. I am now 100 lbs. over weight and if this continues I will be in a downward spiral of bad health. I can not afford nor do I want ( I think ) the lap band system as I have seen too many people gain the weight back because the issue of over eating and underlying causes is not really resolved. I have been on every diet under the sun and know my nutrition inside and out. The problem is the behavior, how do I deal with that. The only pill which worked was Phen Phen and now it is off the market and has proven (?) to be dangerous to health. When I took Phen Phen I was as hungry between meals as any normal person but just a fraction of the food I normally eat would satisfy me. It was as if my brain was adjusted somehow to not focus on food.
So. If you are out there and reading this and interested in writing, please do. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment