Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cats

I have had one cat for 12 years now. She is a black very short tailed Manx mix. She tucks me in at night and wakes me in the morning. Her name is Booboo. I adopted her when she was barely weened from a man who found her mother abandoned in his yard. I also have a wild thing, his name is Kittyboy. I watched him for two years as he knocked around the neighborhood. He would sneak into the house at night through the pet door and take whatever food Booboo left. I always wondered why Booboo ate her food at night and not during the day LOL. One day I caught him steeling in. He had a regular routine. He ate at night and spent his days sleeping under the foundation of the house across the street. In the winter it was easy to track his comings and goings because of the tracks he left in the snow. He always checked a house nearby where his people had abandoned him. He was mean. No one could come within twelve feet of him before he ran away. Last winter someone left a trap which caught him on his front left paw. The trap was on his foot for two weeks because no one could come close enough to him to take it off. One day he was caught between the fence of my house and the neighbors and we could then take the trap off. The poor guy lost a toe in the process.
As time went by I made it a point to let him know that I was the source of his food by placing his daily ration in an enclosed patio which he could access. Kittyboy is now a lap cat at every opportunity. He still views all male humans with suspicion and Ms Booboo does not like his encroachment on her once pristine territory. He does lack manners which most domestic cats have. For instance if I want him off my lap his first instinct is to nip my hand and let me know he is not pleased.
I have made some observations regarding cat people, maybe you agree, maybe not. It seems to me that people who like to be in control will not be "cat people" as control is not really an option. A cat will do as it pleases every time. Cat people are mostly women although I have met some men who adore them. The most notable male I knew who loved cats was such an avid fan that we called him Pudders. I have rarely met a woman who did not like cats, although I think they must exist. On a trip to Italy our guide took us to a mission high in the hills. At the entrance of the mission was an older woman in a pink coat standing in the misty rain with her hand out begging for donations for her cats. I just adored that woman.

3 comments:

  1. Yea..owning a cat is a lot different than owning a Dog! They are in a class by
    themselves. Their independent nature and character sometimes make me angry but not in a bad way in a comical way!

    like when my pet Panini walks past me aloof and annoyed when I want to cuddle her. But that attitude I heard can be the nature of a female cat.

    I've owned mostly male cats all my life so cats have been a large part of it, I enjoy them. They keep me company, keep me laughing and entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos of Art, And your neat little Spring garden is so pretty. Kittyboy appears to be quite a large kitty, love his gray color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Kittyboy is a big guy and probably because he is a real chow hound. I guess after years of not knowing where his next meal was coming from he now will eat all he can.
    Thank you for your nice comments on my garden and paintings.

    ReplyDelete